Visit and Tours
All are welcome to visit the beautiful Basilica of the Sacred Heart on the campus of the University of Notre Dame. Come and pray, participate in liturgical celebrations, take a self-guided tour or schedule a tour.
The Basilica of the Sacred Heart is open to the public year round. Hours vary based on the University of Notre Dame academic schedule.
9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. - When the university is in session (generally, mid-August through mid-December; mid-January through mid-May, and mid-June through the end of July)
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. - During breaks or inter-sessions (mid-October, Christmas season, mid-March, some summer weeks)
View the detailed University Calendar for more details and exact, current dates when the university is in session.
Please call ahead to request a group tour. The preferred time for tours is from 1:00-2:00 p.m. Monday–Friday. You may request a group tour at other times, but please be aware that a variety of musical and liturgical rehearsals may occur during tours scheduled outside the preferred times.
Tour the Museum
The Basilica museum is open to the public and is located just past the Sacristy on the west side of the church. Signage outside the Sacristy will indicate whether or not the museum is open.
Please note that at times the Basilica and Museum are closed to touring due to special Masses or other liturgies, rehearsals, weddings and/or funerals.
- Volunteer tour guides are available to welcome you and answer your questions Monday-Friday from 9-11 a.m. and 1-4 p.m. and Sundays from 1-3 p.m.
- While we look forward to seeing you at any time of year, January, February, and March are the quietest months at the Basilica.
- The Basilica is open during home football game weekends and is a popular destination for visitors to campus.
- For information about parking, please visit the Parking Services webpage..
- Admission is free.
Unable to Visit in Person?
If you are unable to visit in person, please take an online Google tour of the Basilica, its many chapels, and the Basilica museum here.
You may also select a specific area of the church:
- Baptismal Font
- The Lady Chapel
- Reliquary Chapel
- Moreau Chapel
- Cardinal O'Hara Chapel
- Pietà Chapel
- Saint André Bessette Chapel
- Basilica Museum
Katherine Pelster, Coordinator of Tours and Hospitality, firstname.lastname@example.org +1 574-631-7329