The Basilica of the Sacred Heart serves as the University Church for the University of Notre Dame. Consecrated on August 15, 1888, it was elevated to the rank of Minor Basilica on January 17, 1992. Neo-gothic in style the Basilica is home to the largest collection of 19th century French stained glass in the world as well as the oldest carillon in North America. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
As the University Church, the Basilica helps to serve the spiritual needs of the students, faculty, and staff of the University of Notre Dame, as well as members of the greater South Bend community. Mass is celebrated and confessions are heard at the Basilica each day and the Basilica regularly hosts weddings, funerals, and baptisms. It also hosts the Profession of Perpetual Vows and Presbyteral Ordinations for the Congregation of Holy Cross. The Basilica is open regularly for private prayer and touring.